Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Golfing with the Father

[note, I started this post about 2 weeks ago and then things intervened to stop me from finishing it till today]



The day after the fair, I went golfing with the Librarian's Father and Brother. It was damn near perfect day; bright and sunny, warm but not hot, with just enough of a breeze. We went to a public course near her parents house that in my opinion was pretty cool. It was nicely laid out and fairly interesting for such a small course. The coolest hole started at the top of a hill that overlooked the course. At the top of the hill you could see the sand traps for the hole were laid out to look like Snoopy. That was pretty goofy, but whatever. It was a fun hole because you could whack the hell out of the ball and it would go flying forever and mine did, right in to a protected grass area. Like about 10 of my balls, that protected grass ate the ball.

I held up fairly well at the start of the game. I shot the first hole with an honest 7 strokes. I went down hill pretty fast after that and the wheels totally came off for the last couple of holes. On about the second or third holes there was a water hazard that I warned everyone I was going to hit my ball into no matter what I did. Her dad reponded with, "That's fine, just don't hit the ducks". I was rather worried as I watch the ball break and hook right over the ducks heads. I think it would have been a pretty good story though if I would have killed or maimed one of the ducks. I could only imagine the look on her dad and brothers faces if that had happened.

One of the highlights of the game was that I didn't manage to lose all of my balls. I only lost a couple to the water and a few more to the protected grass areas. I even managed to get yelled at by a referee when I went into the protected grass areas to look for my ball. The downsides to the game were that by the 14th hole I couldn't hit a damn thing or make any consistent movement forward. The other problem I had was putting and chipping. No matter how softly I thought I was hitting the ball, that little bastard went flying. I might have had better luck if I had used my putter as a driver.

It was a good day though. I only got a little sunburned on my neck; probably because I had gotten a little burned at the fair. After we got back from golfing I took a nap while the Librarian talked to her dad's cousin about their trip to Italy. After that we came back home. All in all, a very nice little trip.

No comments: