Monday, January 14, 2008

Everready

One post I've been meaning to do for a couple of weeks now is a little review of the hat the Librarian's parents got me as a Christmas present. It's a NikeFIT Hatphones hat and it's pretty sweet. The built in headphones work fairly well and are at least loud enough to block out a lot of the road noise/distractions when I'm out running.

The hat's greatest strength is also it's weakness. For a guy like me, I get hot fast. I start sweating even before I start running. I've been known to sweat on a walk. That means, at least for me, that overheating is a big issue. I can say without hyperbole that the hat is like wearing burning coals under plastic bag, it's that warm. That's not so much of a problem on a day like today when it's 22 degrees out. However, I went running the other day, in shorts and a tee shirt, when it was 50 degrees out and I was so warm I had to take the shirt off. Which, as an aside is a hilarious thing to see in the winter in Chicago. A fat, sweaty, white dude, running in a hat and shorts and nothing else. Several people honked and whistled.

The hat is very comfortable otherwise. The sweatband works pretty well at keeping the sweat locked up and out of my eyes which is good, since with out that I'd go nuts. I am a bit afraid of what it's going to smell like come spring time though.

No comments: